Refreshing, gorgeous and buzzy, açaí (pronounced ah-sah-EE) has been appearing in bowl-form and on our social feeds for quite some time.
Seems like everyone’s talking about it.
But popularity aside, if you’re not familiar with açaí, it’s this:
An antioxidant-rich, Brazilian super-berry with a chocolate-like flavor that – when frozen and blended – transforms into a creamy, deep purple, candy-like gift from nature.
That’s really all anyone needs to know to fall in love with açaí.
Although I should mention, from a health-nerd POV, that in addition to physical beauty and deliciousness, each bite-size berry packs a ton of nutritional power.
Vitamins! Trace Minerals! Omega Fatty Acids! Fiber!
In a nutshell, açaí has almost too many health benefits to count. But if you like specifics, here are a few:
- reduce inflammation
- improve memory
- prevent cancer cell invasion
- reduce oxidative stress from free radicals
- boost skin health
- support metabolic and brain function
- stabilize blood sugar levels
- keep you fuller, longer
- scream, “I make a great breakfast bowl”
That list creates a strong enough argument to swap your usual smoothie for something a little more like…I dunno, THIS:
The Ultimate Açaí Bowl
- 2 (4-ounce) packets frozen acai
- 2 cups of frozen grapes
- ½ cup of frozen cherries
- ¼ cup of almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk solids + 2 tbsp coconut milk
- Sliced fruit (bananas, kiwi, mango, figs, berries, cherries)
- Dried fruit (goji berries, mulberries, cranberries, golden raisins or chopped dates)
- Shredded coconut
- Hemp or chia seeds
- Chopped nuts
- Nut or seed butter
- Sprinkle of cacao or dark chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. You may need to tamper and if necessary, add more coconut or almond milk to get the mixture to blend all the way, but note that you want the consistency to be thick and spoon-able.
- Pour acai mixture into a bowl and add your favorite toppings.
One more note-worthy mention?
The bowl alone might be enough to stir up a long-lasting summer romance.
But the swagger you sprinkle on top is a big component of the chemistry. So have some fun, get creative, snap a pic and share your açaí story (just don’t share your açaí spoon, not yet anyways).
Just wondering…have you ever had açaí?
If not, are you gonna make this bowl and try it? LMK when you’re ready to discuss. OR tag me if you end up posting a pic on Insta.
Until next time, sending you lots of love. Stay safe out there!