This past weekend, Saul and I spent some time in nature and it reminded me how much I love fall.
Cozy sweaters, fresh autumn air, the crunch of leaves on the ground, the colors (OMG the COLORS are just so spectacular this time of year, aren’t they?!), the smell of wood burning in the distance. It was perfect and beautiful and it inspired me to think about all the things I want to do before this season ends.
Baking and cooking with apples (and pumpkins and squash) was number one on my list of things to do. So, as soon as we got home, I made this…
…my Apple Quinoa Crisp. It’s basically a healthy apple pie. Swoon!
The apples are drizzled with maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and then baked under a crispy, crumbly, quinoa topping <– truthfully, my favorite part of the whole thing!
Kick it up a notch with a scoop of your favorite non-dairy ice cream (I love this one: Vanilla Cashew Milk Ice Cream) and dig in before it melts! SO. GOOD.
Apple Quinoa Crisp
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Crispy Pecan Topping:
- ½ cup quinoa flour (or your favorite gluten-free flour)
- ½ cup quinoa flakes (optional)
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 8×8 baking dish with coconut oil or vegan butter.
- Combine all of the crispy pecan topping ingredients together in a bowl – mix until well combined and set aside.
- Add the chopped apples to the prepared baking dish and top with maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Spread the crispy pecan mixture on top of the apples in an even layer.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 – 25 minutes, until the apples are bubbling and the top is crisp and golden.
- Remove from oven and enjoy as is or topped with coconut milk ice cream!
If you try this recipe (and you seriously should!), let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
OH and if you’re looking for a dessert to bring to Thanksgiving dinner, look no further! This is it! I promise everyone will LOVE it!