I love the simplicity of a sandwich. All you gotta do is layer some flavor between two bread-y bookends and bam…lunch is the easiest thing you’ve done all day.
For these chickpea salad sammies, I simply mashed up a can of garbanzo beans, tossed in a few fresh herbs and some capers; mixed it all together with a little lemon zest and juice, EVOO, creamy Dijon, salt and pepper.
Then I toasted my bread, smeared my spread and added my veggies.
I went with dark leafy greens & sliced tomato this time around, but red onion and jalapeño would give it a nice zip as well. The way I see it, you can add all sorts of shenanigans to this sammy to make it your own.
The end result is always the same – an easy-peasy, perfectly-portable, protein-packed lunch that requires hardly any time or effort.
And that, as they say, is all she wrote.
Chickpea Salad Sammy w/ Lemon & Herbs
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup scallions, finely sliced
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Himalayan Pink sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices of your favorite gluten-free bread
- Place chickpeas in medium-sized mixing bowl and mash with the back of a spoon.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt and pepper and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on gluten-free toast or bread. Alternatively, this can be served with crackers, wrapped in lettuce, or added to greens.