Be honest. Have you ever felt completely overwhelmed by the slew of food rules and crazy diets out there?
Ever wonder, “what’s the ONE food rule that I can actually count on to get long-lasting results and feel amazing?”
My hand’s raised. I’m guessing yours is too. Cause let’s face it, there’s SO much conflicting information out there in terms of diet, nutrition and weight loss that it can (understandably) make your head spin.
That’s the bad news.
The good news is that there is ONE proven diet* (*referring to what and how you eat, not a quick-fix fad) that consistently delivers in terms of better health, more energy, glowing skin, heightened immune system, weight loss and disease prevention.
Real talk: it’s the best, most powerful thing that you can do for your health and your body – and once you do it, I promise, it’ll change your life!
I call it Keepin’ It Real – which, in a nutshell, means that you eat real food made from real ingredients.
When you Keep It Real you choose whole, natural, real foods – like fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, whole grains and legumes, which nourish your body with exactly what it needs to perform at its best, prevent disease and maintain a healthy weight.
The goal is to eat foods that are as close to their natural state as possible – minimally processed and free of any “fake” chemically processed ingredients like preservatives, additives, hormones, antibiotics, artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners.
The Real Deal: And just so we’re clear, Keeping It Real is not a rigid, restrictive diet with complicated rules and counting calories.
Instead, it’s a flexible approach to eating nourishing foods, so there’s zero guilt, deprivation, starvation or frustration involved.
How to Keep It Real:
- Crowd In Veggies, For Real! Bulk up your bowl (or plate) by crowding in lots of fresh veggies (and fruits)! Out to dinner? Start with a salad. Toast for breakfast? Slather on avocado. Loading real foods into every meal (and snack) keeps you feeling full longer and loads your body with super high-quality nutrients.
- Swap It, Don’t Drop It! Don’t cut foods out, but do make healthy swaps. Trade fried foods for baked. Swap highly processed and refined foods (like white flours, sugars, breads and snacks) for their whole, natural counterparts (like whole grain flour, raw brown sugar (sucanat), sprouted breads and unprocessed snacks).
- Sleuth For The Truth. Get label savvy and ignore marketing buzzwords and claims on packaged products. Instead go straight to the ingredient list and read it carefully! Look for a small number (eight or less) of real ingredients that you’re familiar with, can pronounce and can cook with at home.
- Don’t Fake It! Know thy fake enemy ingredients and steer clear! This includes added sugars, hydrogenated oils (trans fat), chemically processed preservatives, additives, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, toxic binders, stabilizers, GMO’s, hormones, antibiotics and fat replacers.
- Embrace Real Fats and Sugars. Don’t be afraid of healthy fats and natural sugars – you need them, in moderation! Incorporate whole/natural essential fatty acids every day – excellent sources include nuts, seeds, avocados and natural oils (like coconut or olive) – and chose naturally sweet foods like fruits and sweet veggies.
- Choose Water. Water is the realest beverage that you can choose – it’s the calorie-free elixir of life! Add an extra boost of nutrients (and flavor) by adding citrus, fruits and herbs!
- Be Really Kind. If you do consume meat, fish or other animal products, choose humanely raised (local when possible), free range or wild and organic.
- Keep It REAListic. When it comes to eating, there’ll always be times when we chose something that’s not 100% (or even 1%) whole, natural or real…and that’s perfectly ok. Life happens and it’s meant to be enjoyed! Whether it’s a family dinner, a birthday party or a night out on the town with your love, don’t stress about that piece of cake or that extra glass of wine. Savor it and enjoy it!
I’m not kidding when I tell you that Keeping It Real is a game-changer! Try it for yourself and let me know what you think.
Conversation sparks inspiration, so share, share, share your experience with Keeping It Real in the comments below!
P.S. Episode three of Nourished will be airing soon, and in it I’m expanding on this very strategy so keep an eye out for lots more realness. 😉