Here’s a dirty little secret you might not know about me…
I love chocolate and peanut butter.
Actually, I’m o-b-s-e-s-s-e-d with any kind of nut butter. Show me a peanut butter cup, a pecan butter brownie or a cashew butter truffle and I’ll show you one.happy.girl.
In fact, back in high school I’d keep a stash of Nutty Bars in my locker. Ya know, just for a lil before, between and after class pick-me-up. I swear, that crispy-chocolaty-peanut buttery goodness gave me life.
Now, here’s another lil secret for ya…
Some people mistakenly believe that chocolate and nut butters don’t belong in a healthy diet…but actually they do!
Okay, sure, Little Debbie candy bars (sadly) have to go.
BUT…my Cacao Crispies are the perfect replacement.
Made with cacao (chocolate’s cool non-processed cousin, which in its raw form is packed with antioxidants, iron, zinc, potassium, and brain-boosting flavonols) and almond butter (whose impressive nutritional profile includes: magnesium, Vitamin E, heart-healthy fats, fiber and protein), these sweet little treats are healthy and delicious.
Chocolate lovers, this one’s for you.
- 2 cups brown rice cereal
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond butter (or any nut/seed butter)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- Heat brown rice syrup, coconut oil, nut butter, salt, and cacao powder in medium saucepan, over medium heat.
- Whisk together until melted and well combined, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add brown rice cereal and mix with spatula until the cereal is completely coated.
- Use a 1 ½ tbsp measuring spoon to scoop out the mixture and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate to cool and set for about 5 minutes.
- Flatten each mound or use hands to roll into balls or form into desired shapes.
- Return to fridge for another 30 minutes to fully set.
After you’ve done the taste test, let me know whatcha think in the comments below.
Or feel free to share a dirty little secret of your own. 😉
With crispy-chocolaty-peanut buttery x’s & o’s