- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1-½ tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1-cup haricot verts, cut into thirds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 15-oz can of diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large (or 2 small) zucchini, cut into half moons
- 1 15-oz can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup orzo or Risoni (chickpea/lentil orzo)
- 1-cup spinach, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil and sauté onions, shallots, garlic, celery, carrots until onions are translucent and vegetables have softened, 5-10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, potatoes, haricot verts, oregano, basil, thyme, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and stir. Cook until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes with their juices and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil
- Stir in the zucchini, beans and orzo or Risoni and simmer on low for 25 minutes.
- Add spinach; simmer for an additional 10 minutes, until greens are tender and pasta is al dente.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and squeeze of fresh lemon juice.