After a tough 2018, I finally feel like I’m starting to crawl out of my creative hole and get back into the swing of things.
I moved at turtle-speed last year and scheduled lots of downtime (neither of which is a bad thing) to grieve the unexpected loss of three close friends and both of my sweet pups, Oliver and Lola.
I was in a fog of emotions and needed space to process everything, so I put the blog on the back burner to feel all the heart-aching feels that come from losing loved ones.
That said, even though I took a some time off of work, I still managed to keep most of my days healthy – full of nourishing meals, regular exercise, good sleep and of course, lots of yoga.
These past few weeks, however, were a different story. The holiday season was a non-stop circuit of parties, late nights, cocktails and way too many cookies.
But that’s to be expected, right? Overindulging is, after all, a side effect of the season…and the reason so many people talk about detoxing as soon as January rolls around.
Now…I’m not one for “detoxing” in the traditional sense (I don’t think restriction, deprivation and/or elimination of entire food groups is the best way to about about things), HOWEVER…I am all about detoxing with tasty + satisfying recipes that automatically hit the holiday-reset button. Like this…
Enter: my Raw Detox Salad w/ Lemon Tahini Dressing.
After overdoing it with the heavy, holiday foods, festive beverages and excess sugars, this salad gives my body the break it needs to get back on a healthy track.
Plus it’s loaded with fiber and phytonutrients that cleanse the digestive system, stabilize blood sugar levels and reenergize the body, making it feel pre-holiday amazing!
It’s almost like those cocktails and cookies never even happened. 😉
Raw Detox Salad w/ Lemon Tahini Dressing
For the salad:
- ½ head broccoli, chopped and stems removed
- ½ head cauliflower, chopped and stems removed
- 4 carrots
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
For the Lemon Tahini Dressing:
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- *warm water as needed to thin dressing (approx. 2 tablespoons)
- In a food processor, process the broccoli (no stems) until fine. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Next, process the cauliflower (no stems) until fine and combine with broccoli.
- Grate the carrots (by hand or in the food processor) and combine with the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Combine the remaining salad ingredients into the bowl of veggies.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until well combined and drizzle over your salad.
*NOTE: Tahini dressing will thicken, to thin add a slow steam of warm water until desired consistency is achieved.
Then LMK what you think!
Wishing you a happy 2019!