TACOS! I love em’, you love em’, everybody loves em’.
Bold statement, I know. But honestly, have you ever met anyone who was just meh about tacos? I haven’t.
I mean…we live in a world where we’ve collectively and unanimously decided that #TacoTuesday needed to be a thing. A real thing…with lots of tacos. Every Tuesday. For all eternity. Fiesta Foreva!
Now, I’ve been aggressively gung ho about tacos my whole life (long before they became a hashtag holiday) and every time I eat one I think, “this is the best taco I’ve ever had.”
So when I tell you that this is the best tempeh taco I’ve EVER had…I’m not exaggerating.
The spiced tempeh filling is a warm, smoky blend of flavors that gets a sweet-refreshingly-cool kick from the mango salsa. And when you top it off with my chipotle vegan queso…OMG…BOOM! It’s magnificent.
Tempeh Tacos w/ Mango Salsa & Chipotle “Cheese” Sauce
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and quartered
- 2 kumato or roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 8oz package of tempeh, crumbled
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teamspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
For the Mango Salsa:
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- ½ cup fresh pineapple, diced
- ½ of a red pepper, finely diced
- ¼ of red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced (optional)
- Juice of two key limes
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
Combine all ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and stir to combine.
For the Chipotle “Cheese” Sauce
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons of water
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
TEMPEH TACO DIRECTIONS:
- Heat large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Season with a bit of sea salt, to taste.
- While the onions, garlic and tomatoes cook, mix together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Then, when the tomato mixture is done, carefully pour it into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return the tomato sauce to the skillet and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Next, add the tempeh mixture to the tomato mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 10 more minutes on medium low heat, until the mixture is completely warmed through.
- Serve on corn tortillas and top with mango salsa and chipotle “cheese” sauce.
If you’re avoiding soy or don’t like tempeh – go ‘head and use extra minced mushrooms, cauliflower florets, potatoes or lean, organic ground chicken (if it’s a part of your diet) instead. Then load up your tortilla and chow down.
Whatever you do, don’t not make these tacos…cause this flavor combo is too good to be ignored.
After you’ve tried them, I really, really, REALLY want to know if it’s the best (tempeh) taco you’ve ever had.
So pretty please – with salsa on top – LMK down below.
And, if there’s a taco filling, topping and/or combo, that you think is the BEST ever, tell me about that too!
Happy Taco Tuesday!