I firmly believe that a good sauce can elevate a meal. Tzatziki – traditionally a yogurt-cucumber-dill sauce popular in Greece and Turkey – is the type of sauce that can do exactly that.
In this “veganified” version, I swap yogurt for cashews, tahini and hemp seeds.
A refreshing, flavorful and herby sauce – perfect for salads, wraps, sammies, falafel, grilled veggie skewers and more!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or at least 4 hours
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ cucumber, finely diced
- 4 to 5 tablespoons of fresh dill (or 2 tablespoons of dried dill)
- Drain cashews and add to a high-speed blender with the next seven ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the tzatziki to a bowl and stir in the cucumbers and dill.
- Chill until ready to serve.
If you’re a tzatziki lover (like me), I’d love to know how you think this vegan version stacks up to the original?
AND…I’m also curious to know about your favorite sauce(s) – what are some of your go-to’s?
Tell me all about it/them, down in the comments.