- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1 20-oz can of jackfruit, drained
- 1-tablespoon (vegan) Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1-teaspoon chili powder
- 1-teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika or chipotle powder
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- Drain the jackfruit and cut into slices from core to outer edge, slicing through the core.
- In a thick paper towel, roll and wring the jackfruit, squeezing out as much liquid as you can.
- Heat large skillet on medium heat and add 1 tbsp. avocado oil.
- Add onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes. Season with a bit of sea salt, to taste.
- Add the jackfruit, Worcestershire sauce, orange juice and spices, stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes – allowing the moisture to cook-off and the jackfruit to dry.
- Add the remaining tbsp. of oil and the sugar (if using) until the jackfruit begins to caramelize.
- Serve on corn tortillas with onion, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
*This jackfruit “meat” also works great as an enchilada filling or layered into a burrito bowl!