Millet & Mashed Sweet Potato Sliders
w/ Cilantro Lime Slaw + Spicy Crema
- 1 cup millet (or grain of your choice), cooked according to package
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup black beans (or beans of your choice), cooked or drained & rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1 lime, halved
- Gluten-free mini hamburger buns
- Lime Cilantro Slaw (recipe below)
- Spicy Crema (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp of olive oil, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder and ½ teaspoon of sea salt, and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes roast, scoop the flesh of the avocado into a small bowl and mash. Stir in the juice of one lime and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine roasted sweet potatoes and black beans, mash until mostly smooth.
- Gently fold in the cooked millet and form mixture into six mini patties, about ½-inch thick.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and sear sliders until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve on mini buns, slathered with the avocado mash and topped with a heaping scoop of slaw.
For the Cilantro Lime Slaw:
- ¼ head of medium-sized green cabbage, shredded
- ¼ head of medium-sized red cabbage, shredded
- ¾ cup carrots, shredded
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt.
- Stir in cabbage and carrots and toss well to combine.
- Add cilantro and serve.
For the Spicy Crema:
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours and then drained
- ½ cup water, as needed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce or adobo sauce.
- Add all ingredients, except hot sauce, to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the hot sauce and serve on sliders, tacos or enchiladas.