Small bites on skewers have long been a crowd-pleasin’ party snack, and with BBQ season right around the corner, I thought this “recipe” would be a fresh way to elevate your salad game during your next backyard bash.
Serving your leafy greens on a stick, finger-food-style, helps keep the party rollin’ – they’re easy to grab (and gobble) as you gab, they don’t require bowls or utensils (making cleanup a breeze) and they’re fun (for everyone, especially the kiddos) to eat.
Not to mention…these babies are so simple to prep – just wash, slice and skewer.
I kept my salad fixins pretty straight-forward and spruced things up with my creamy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing.
But feel free to personalize your skewers with your favorite summer veggies, stackin’ em’ up any way you like.
Salad Skewers w/ Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing
For the salad skewers:
- 12 bamboo skewers
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in 1 in pieces
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 1 head bib lettuce, washed and separated
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 carrots, cut into rounds
- 2 radishes, sliced
For the Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 ½ tsp grated ginger
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cilantro, packed
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ avocado
- Prepare the dressing by placing garlic, ginger, lime juice, vinegar, salt, and cilantro into blender. Blend until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Slowly drizzle olive oil into blender and blend until emulsified.
- Add avocado and blend until creamy.
- Add water to thin out and blend until you have reached your desired consistency.
- Make salad skewers by alternately threading bell pepper, cucumber, lettuce, cherry tomato, carrot and radish onto skewer.
- Arrange on platter and drizzle with dressing.
*This combo of veggies also goes great with my Vegan Ranch.
I think everyone will agree that this is the coolest way to eat salad.
If you make them, let me know…
- Who you made them for. Friends, family, colleagues?
- And what they (and you, of course) thought.
P.S. Kids will dig this recipe too! If you have little ones, these Salad Skewers Swords, are the perfect weapon to get them excited about eating their veggies.
P.P.S. Speaking of kids…have you checked out my children’s website and book series – The Rootlets?
It’s a tale of four veggie-haired superheroes with a huge appetite for adventure.
Check em’ out here –> THE ROOTLETS