Vegan Greek Meatballs w/ Cucumber Slaw
- 2 cups lentils (green or brown), cooked and drained
- 1 cup cooked (and completely cooled) quinoa
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ shallot, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1-tablespoon mint leaves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced in half moons
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- 1-tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Juice from half a lemon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
- Pinch of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Vegan Feta Cheese (Violife brand is my fave, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In oven-safe skillet add 1-tablespoon olive oil, over medium heat, sauté garlic and shallot until fragrant and softened, approx. 2 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve pan for later.
- Pulse the lentils, garlic, shallot, herbs and spices in food processor into a crumbly, loose consistency. Then add the cooked cooled quinoa and pulse again. You want the mixture to be sticky enough to hold together, without being completely pulverized.
- Scoop out a small handful of the mixture and gently form into balls, add to a plate and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Reheat your reserved oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add remaining olive oil and then add meatballs; sauté for a few minutes, gently turning to get a slight golden crust on all sides.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes; until golden and slightly dry to the touch.
- While meatballs are baking, combine all the ingredients for the cucumber slaw (except the feta, if using) in a bowl and set aside.
- Serve meatballs with cucumber slaw and top with feta and parsley.