Happy almost 4th of July!
If you’re gettin’ ready to celebrate the occasion by firin’ up the ol’ charbroiler and hosting the biggest backyard bash of the year, I’ve got the perfect, easy dish (or side) to serve at (or bring to) the BBQ.
Super healthy, super tasty, super simple.
Choose your favorite veggies, thread em’ on a skewer, add a lil marinade, then toss those bad boys on the barbie and let them do their thing.
No barbie? No problem.
Just roast em’ in the oven, like I did here.
That means even if it’s raining cats and Yorkadoodles (or if you find yourself in the middle of a Midwest winter) you can still enjoy the deliciousness that is these skewers.
Great for summer, sure…but perfect any ol’ time!
Roasted Veggie Skewers w/ Vegan Tzatziki
For the Skewers:
- 6 wooden skewers, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 6 fingerling potatoes, cut in half
- 4 asparagus spears, cut into quarters
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 zucchini, sliced into thick rounds
- ½ red onion, cut into chunks
For the marinade:
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion granules
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients and set aside.
- Thread the veggies onto skewers and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the marinade over the skewers and roast for 20 -25 minutes until veggies are tender. You can also grill the skewers over medium high heat for about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve with brown rice and Vegan Tzatziki
For the Vegan Tzatziki:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or at least 4 hours
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ cucumber, finely diced
- 4 to 5 tablespoons of fresh dill (or 2 tablespoons of dried dill)
- Drain cashews and add to a high-speed blender with the next seven ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the tzatziki to a bowl and stir in the cucumbers and dill.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Ooh and a quick note about the Vegan Tzatziki…I’d be lying if I said you could do without it.
When you top your roasted veggie hunks with this particular sauce, bombastic things happen. Just believe.
Or give it a try and see for yourself. Then let me know what you think.
And if you need a little more #healthybbq inspo, check out my top 5 tips –> RIGHT HERE.
Whether you’re gettin’ your grill on tomorrow or not, I hope you have a happy and safe 4th of July!